Re: [ontolog-forum] Cultural variation in cognitive machinery

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:10:18 -0700

Welcome back to the online world Ali.

I would like to add one reference to your list below, which I think you may find appropriate.  Its ultimately from Nietsche, but quoted here:

http://www25.brinkster.com/marcsgalaxy/imagination.htm

In his typical vitriolic fashion, Nietzsche completes his last prose work, Ecce Homo, by condemning his early profession, namely, that of the scholarly life.(2) Scholars, Nietzsche asserted, had lost the taste for life. Instead, given the constant intercourse with books, the scholar had been shorn of the capacity to think, and hence, reduced to no more than a "reacting medium." As such, the scholar "exhausts his whole strength in saying either `yes' or `no' to a matter which has already been thought out ... In him the instinct of self-defence has decayed, otherwise he would defend himself against books. The scholar is decadent."(3)

Nietzsche accounted for this decadence as the loss of trust in the "artistic mastery"(4) of one's instinct. What scholars forgot was that the relation between interpretation and the text is not one of contemplation, rather, it belonged to the realm of struggle and overcoming. In other words, the act of interpretation was synonymous with the surge of life. For Nietzsche, to be and to interpret were one and the same.(5) In fact, we are never presented with a text to be investigated, rather, it is us, the reader, who creatively constitute the sense of the text.(6)

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com