Re: [ontolog-forum] Inventor of the Web Gets Backing to Build Webof Data

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 11:31:38 -0700

Hi Ali,

Your gardening photos look like you are a lover of natural beauty, so I can see why your interest in subjective experience is so strong.

You are right; McLuhan, and the flood of new marketing methods that followed his teachings, demonstrated how little the things we buy are actually purchased for purely logical and utilitarian reasons.  It’s those things we have been exposed to in our subjective experience, in our local environment, with our directly experienced emotionally charged situations and events, which make us learn to think, to place emotional value, and otherwise to direct our behaviors are higher conceptual levels than thought does.

That is most especially noticeable in manifestations of pain.  My wife is constantly in pain due to a nervous and muscular condition, but she is able to escape much of this great pain when she is focused on a task that interests her emotionally.  For example, when our two year old granddaughter comes over, my wife spends a lot of time caring for her and teaching her, and helping her explore my wife’s tiny garden, which is very well taken care of.  When she is deep into caring and teaching and gardening, the pain is much diminished.  Its when she his out of the garden, without the granddaughter, trying to sleep without distracting influences that the pain is most difficult for her to control.

The pure logic of ontology is, in my opinion, not sufficient.  Although I think your carbon sequestration approach is politically correct, I don’t think your motivation comes from Al Gore, but from your love of gardening.  Thinking back on the things that have been really, really important to me in life, not one is important because of logic and math.  All are important because the emotional learning I have gathered, both conscious and unconscious, establish 100% of any significant meaning, while logic just glues together the parts that are tangled so I can recognize them more clearly.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com