Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:49:07 -0700
Chris and John,    (01)

Actually, Nand and Nor logic is no more complex than And and Or logic, in my
opinion.  I used it extensively in digital circuit design once upon a time
and never noticed any inconvenience or confusion at all.      (02)

In fact, I consider it actually simpler, because And functions are
intuitively there to detect conjoint conditions in which, when detected, you
want to remove from the inputs of the logic function that is inhibited by
the Nand gate.      (03)

Using Karnaugh maps, or Yates transforms, or algebraic simplification for
balancing evidence, is every bit as easy, clear and intuitive in Nand/Nor as
in And/Or, IMHO.      (04)

Popper says that a falsifiable theory must have at least one ground case
that is detected (usually defined as And conditions) to falsify the theory.
Alternatively, a variable that ranges over a specific set of ground cases
suffices for the same action.  Whether that is implemented in Nand/Nor or
And/Or is immaterial.  Note that And/Or gates are electronically more
complex, with more circuitry actually REQUIRED, than for Nand and Nor gates.    (05)

-Rich    (06)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com