Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic patterns and logic expression

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 02:41:29 -0000 (GMT)
 "Jim Rhyne" <jrr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:    (01)

> ... it would be interesting to me to have a catalog of "semantic
> patterns" (whatever those might be) and their expression in FOL (or CLIF,
> ...). Do you agree with that?    (02)

One place to look is Cyc's rule macro predicates.    (03)

The simplest exist in many languages:    (04)

#$genls = subclass
#$genlPreds = subrelation
(#$genlInverse p1 p2) = (p1 A B) => (p2 B A)    (05)

(#$relationAllExists A B p) =
  ForAll instances of A (Ai) Exists an element of B (Bi): (p Ai Bi)
(#$relationExistsAll A B p) =
  ForAll instances of B (Bi) Exists an element of A (Ai): (p Ai Bi)
(#$relationAllAll A B C)    (06)

(#$interArgRelation p1 i j p2)
  If predicate p1 relates 2 or more arguments, then the relation p2
  holds between the ith & jth argument.  The values of i & j may be
  the same.  If p1 is a binary predicate, i=1, and j=2 this reduces
  to genlPreds.    (07)

(#$functionalInArg p n)
  If all the arguments of p other than the nth argument is fixed, then
  the cardinality of the nth argument is 0 or 1.    (08)

(#$arg1Isa p A)
  The domain of p is class A.  This is a constraint.
(#$arg1Isa-Inferred p A) = (p A1 ...) => (isa A1 A)
(#$arg1Genls p A)
  The first argument of p must be a class which is a subclass of A.
  This is a constraint.
Similar rule macro predicates exist for arg2..., arg3..., arg4...    (09)

There are more.  It's now 2:40 a.m. & i'm nodding off.    (010)

-- doug    (011)

> Thanks, Jim    (012)

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (013)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.