Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic patterns and logic expression

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:24:29 -0600
On Feb 21, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Jim Rhyne wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> I was making an inquiry, not a challenge.    (01)

Ah, I saw your post as neither an inquiry nor a challenge but as a report that
you had found semantic patterns you believed were not expressible in FOL.  I
was simply curious to see an example.    (02)

> As a practical matter, since I am a technical consultant for hire, I do not
> always get to choose the formalism I work in, and I and the client have to
> live with the consequences.
> I have found a very few things that I had trouble expressing in FOL, and
> they were not very important. These could have been failures of creativity
> on my part. I put that in the note to see if others have had similar
> problems. Still, it would be interesting to me to have a catalog of "semantic
> patterns" (whatever those might be) and their expression in FOL (or CLIF,
> ...). Do you agree with that?    (03)

Well, it certainly sounds like something I might well agree with, if only
"whatever those might be" were spelled out.  But as it stands I don't know what
you have in mind.    (04)

Just to note, CLIF is a specific first-order language.  So if you represent
something in CLIF, you thereby represent it in FOL.  It's not an *alternative*
to FOL as the disjunction "FOL or CLIF" seems to suggest (although perhaps you
only meant it in the sense of "FOL (or, more specifically, CLIF)".    (05)

-chris    (06)