Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic patterns and logic expression

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali.hashemi+ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 00:27:04 -0500
I'm a bit embarrassed to have to add this qualification, but the "criticism" i'm anticipating and responding to here seems to pop-up like clockwork on this forum. So before people jump on my statement of :
"...the field of mathematics has already formalized and characterized a lot of the useful statements we can make in a formal language such as FOL. So it suggested to us to start inputting ontologies for these well understood theories and then see how they were being reused in other fields."
This statement in no way implies that we believe the world is described completely by only mathematical based theories or that they are the only important ones or anything along this line of criticism.

It doesn't mean the world is mathematical, or anything more than simply, mathematics are really useful in formal ontologies!  Indeed, they reflect a large category of theories that are very well developed and understood with a huge base of support and applications pretty much everywhere, so it seems like a great (or if you like, partial) starting point for a family of interlingua ontologies in a repository.

(Mathematical theories certainly have far more widespread applications, adoption, integration and practical in-use experience than OpenCyc :P.  <--- note.. this statement isn't meant to imply that OpenCyc shouldn't be included, just to point out that there we already are using a lot of the same basic structures again and again, except, instead of "top-down upperontologies" it's bottom-up logical foundations :D:D)

Cheers,
Ali