Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 09:17:04 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

Interestingly, your set of primitives does not necessarily need to form an
ontology itself at all, only be a set of terms with unambiguous reference
that can be used in axioms to define an ontology.    (02)

I still think it is unlikely that there is a finite set of such terms, but
without the set of terms being proposed as an ontology itself, you have a
much better chance of success, and for me the outcome is more interesting.    (03)

Another issue is where there are alternative choices of primitive. I think
that strictly it does not matter in these cases what choice you make, though
doubtless there would be great argument about the choice just for that
reason - a good case of where voting makes sense.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (07)