Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologist Aptitude Test?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 09:31:56 -0800
Nicely stated Matthew.  Companies are about investing money to obtain more
value back, along with the money invested.  R&D budgets have to be justified
to the financial stakeholders based on ROI, risk, market share, strategic
and tactical grounds.  If the parameters aren't within acceptable limits,
the investment moves along to the next choice.      (01)

That's why the blue sky stuff has always been done sometimes by wealthy
aristocrats (Newton), the compulsively curious (Einstein), and other
oddballs (Turing, Von Neumann ...).  At least, until DARPA started funding
targeted projects which the NSF hadn't thought worthy of science.  And of
course Bell Tel spent its subscribers' money on blue sky R&D to justify
their investments instead of handing the money back as the regulators urged.    (02)

But no company is giving it away for free.
-Rich    (03)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com
Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com    (04)