Re: [ontolog-forum] [uk-government-data-developers] OMG Issues RFP for L

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: semantic-web at W3C <semantic-web@xxxxxxx>, bawg@xxxxxxx
From: Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 01:12:20 +0100
Chris

I have no problem admitting partial knowledge (ignorance, as you prefer to read it), I stated clearly at the top of my post
that what I said represents a point of view from where I stand (external observation)

 (while it looks that you assert having absolute knowledge of all the relevant facts, and the exclusive
right to their interpretation? uhm...)

I was referring to Pat's initial statement somewhere ' I am mr logic (one of the logic guys) ....and I am partially responsible
for some of the decisions made'

Not only it was good to see Pat speak live even if I only got half way through the recording (only just read text from him before) but also to hear the critical hindsights (we should have done some stuff differently etc) - it was rather refreshing to hear

I admit I was expecting to read some blog posts with headlines

''Pat Hayes tells 'how got the semantic web wrong' '' but havent seen any yet (gotta write one myself perhaps)

I plan to view the rest of the talk when I get the time, and surely learn lots from it

Of course he may have said throughout the years many of the things in his talk (and probably many others that were not in the talk?)
- as may have other people who have not given a keynote, or  have since given up putting forward their thoughts, etc

Not at all  detracting from  of his (or anybody else's) essential and valid contributions made to RDF and OWL to date, (kudos for all the clever work done) rather suggesting that a fresh look at where we are and valuing different perspectives (or maybe have  different disciplinary backgrounds) may help to expose and bridge some of the weaknesses in the state of the art, and reducing the risk of making the same mistakes.

I hope you will not disagree  that further developments will benefit from different approaches to sw challenges ,  provided people are not too intimidated into sharing their views, (get bullied, called ignorant, you know what I mean)

 I agree my post can be off the cuff though (hopefully Pat  being big  had a laugh)

Apologies if having different view of reality (or a different set of facts, or interpretation thereof etc) is considered as an insult,
It may well work somewhere,  but surely not in most civilized arenas

and may well put some people off who would otherwise contribute to discourse with solutions to the problems at hand that others may have not thought of so far?

PDM

  You obviously have no idea what Pat's views are and no idea of the history of his involvement with OWL and RDF.  In point of fact, Pat has been saying the things he said in his keynote for many years and, indeed, was urging many of the points he makes there during the development of both OWL and RDF.

Clueless, fact-free potshots like this may work in the political arena but they won't work here.

Chris Menzel

--
Paola Di Maio