Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies as social mediators

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Jim Rhyne" <jrr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:00:00 -0800
Ferenc,
Many of us are having difficulty with your prose.
Philosophers and logicians have contrived many ways to deal with the dynamic
nature of knowledge (arising from the dynamic nature of the world). Temporal
logics, logics of causality and other modal logics have been explored to
better understand the essential characteristics of time and change. Perhaps
you could help those of us with this sort of background better understand
your points by contrasting them with some of these formal approaches.
On the practice side, AI and robotics researchers have long dealt with
dynamic environments using inferential reasoning processes over distinct and
scoped entities called situations. In this domain, procedural knowledge is
expressed as rules for possible and desirable behavior over facts that are
associated with situations. Since situations are virtual entities, they can
be created in advance of taking action, allowing robotic systems and game
playing programs to explore the distant consequences of a possible sequence
of actions. Is this the sort of thing you have in mind when you talk about
procedural knowledge?
Thanks, Jim    (01)