Re: [ontolog-forum] new logic

To: paoladimaio10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:10:19 -0500
Hi Paola & All,

Actually, there's another, widely used form of logic that can accurately be described as new.  New, that is, on the historical timescale for logic.

It's FOL with negation changed to SQL-style closed world negation.  It says, if something cannot be proven from the axioms and data provided, then that something is false.  So there are only two possible answers to most questions -- true or false.

In FOL, on the other hand, a question can have no proof, and also no disproof, so the answer is a third possibility, "unknown".

The entire world economy runs on SQL-style closed world negation for its use of databases. And this kind of negation can be extended to other deductive systems, see e.g. [1,2].

Interestingly, the many distinguished authorities in the Semantic Web field nevertheless appear to take the view that FOL style open world negation is  the 'correct' one to use computationally.  This creates some complications for database-like work, not only for negation, but also for aggregations like the 'sum' or 'count' of a table of numbers.  (We can simulate closed world negation with count=0). The ongoing work on the specs and implementation practice for the SPARQL language reflects some of these complications.

One argument that is advanced for the open world approach is that inference over the Web should be monotonic, that is, as Web data accumulates new data, no previously proven deductions should vanish.   However, consider the conclusion 'b' that follows from {'b if not c', 'not c'}.  If we now add the fact {c}, there is an inconsistency {'not c', c}.  Anything at all. such as the irrelevant item 'd' can be proved from an inconsistency like this.  So it makes sense to remove 'not c' when we add 'c'.  But then the deduction 'b' vanishes.  So there is a useful sense in which open world approach  is actually non-monotonic too.

Just my 2 cents,                          -- Adrian

[1]  Backchain Iteration: Towards a Practical Inference Method that is Simple
  Enough to be Proved Terminating, Sound and Complete. Journal of Automated Reasoning, 11:1-22

[2]  Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free