[ontolog-forum] new logic

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:59:48 +0000
I know it may deliberatelly stir up an old argument we ve had on this list

JSowa, and others, say that there is only one type of logic, FOL

I myself and others, without being able to prove just yet, say that there are different type of logic
(cant quite tell what I mean by that other than as already discussed, but I can observe it and then heard others
discussing it)

I am reading an interesting article that actually mentions 'new logic', that I though some on this list
might enjoy discussing (er... trashing?) , excerpt and link below

The new logic, the logic born of the application of the technical
sophistication of mathematical logic to the project of informal logic, has
triggered the very rapprochement that mathematical logic was not structured to
deliver or to seek. The new logic, whatever its various differences of mission
and detail, has sought for mathematically describable models of what human
agents actually do in real-life situations when they cogitated, reflected,
calculated and decided. Here was an approach that would in an essential way
take what mathematical logic would see as inert context into the theory itself,
where it would be directly engaged by the ensuing formalisms.” (Gabbay and
Woods 2001), pg. 143)

http://www.isy.vcu.edu/~mwenger/INFO790DSS-IntuitiveDecisionMaking-MRW.pdf

--
Paola Di Maio