Re: [ontolog-forum] ANN: GoodRelations Annotator 2.0 + New Webcast

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Martin Hepp (UniBW)" <martin.hepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:23:41 +0100
Dear John:    (01)

Quick answer: Yes, I think that controlled natural language interfaces
on top of ontologies are important, and I had thought of using e.g. ACE
for queries on GoodRelations data. That will require some research,
though, because it will not just be about deriving straightforward
SPARQL queries from NL / CNL, but also to optimize them so that they
handle well    (02)

1. remaining conceptual heterogeneity (e.g. two equivalent properties
used in the wild) and
2. data quality and data provenance issues    (03)

on a Web scale.    (04)

Note that the GoodRelations Annotator is meant as the minimal tool for
very small shops - any hairdresser or car maintenance shop across the
globe. Anybody who has a structured catalog with prices should rather
use extensions for the shop software, see    (05)

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations#Applications    (06)

Those generate a fully-fledged representation of the full range of items
in the shop on the fly or in a batch mode, so shop owners won't have to
touch RDF etc. at all.    (07)

As for the data consumption side, such tools and services are also being
built by multiple groups.    (08)

As for N3 I think it is a quite okay syntax for developers. The main
problems with N3 are those inherited from RDF, mainly the lack of higher
arity predicates.    (09)

Best
Martin    (010)

John F. Sowa wrote:

> Dear Martin,
>
> Thanks for the URLs to the primer and the slides, which point
> directly to the documents without the requirement for registering
> or filling out a survey.
>
> I agree that sharing the information is good.  And I think that the
> categories you're defining in the GoodRelations ontology are very
> useful.  But I had some comments (see below).
>
> MH> I fail to see, however, why helping people to populate one of the
> > few serious Web ontologies could be anywhere near the four letter
> > word used in your mail.
>
> I was annoyed by the URL that required a survey and registration:
>
> JFS> I clicked on the URL in your message, and it sent me to
> > a long query form that asked me to fill out all sorts of
> > information about my business.
>
> I didn't accuse you of spam, but I apologize for using the word
> in close association:
>
> JFS> That is typical of business SPAM.  It is not typical of
> > R & D people who are sharing information.
>
> And I agree that the work on developing the Goodrelations ontology
> is important.  But we need higher-level tools that avoid forcing
> ontologists to read and write RDF and OWL.  Even N3 is too low.
>
> Example from http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/primer/
>
>> default:Amazon
>>       a gr:BusinessEntity ;
>>       rdfs:comment "Amazon"^^xsd:string ;
>>       rdfs:seeAlso <http://www.amazon.com> ;
>>       gr:hasDUNS "884745530"^^xsd:string ;
>>       gr:legalName "Amazon Inc."^^xsd:string .
>
> What the ontologists should read and write is something like:
>
>    Amazon Inc. has the DUNS number 884745530.
>
> That should *also* be the "machine readable" form.
>
> I like the RDF diagram in Figure 1.  But I object to the comment that
> distinguishes it from "machine readable" code.  Since the diagram was
> generated by machine, it is just as formal as anything else.
>
> Ontologists should see diagrams like Figure 1 and controlled English
> (or other natural languages).  That was the point of the slides:
>
>    http://www.jfsowa.com/cnl4ss.pdf
>
> Ontologists from Aristotle through the middle ages to the early 20th
> century were using controlled Greek, Latin, Arabic, etc.  It is not
> a sign of progress to force them to use things like RDF and OWL.
>
> A primer on C doesn't teach the students assembly language.  A primer
> on Java doesn't teach them Java byte codes.  RDF and OWL should be
> just as deeply hidden as assembly language or Java byte codes.
> Making byte codes slightly prettier (as N3 does) is not sufficient.
>
> John

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen    (012)

e-mail:  hepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp    (013)

=================================================================    (014)

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/    (015)

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations    (016)

Webcasts:
Overview - http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/
How-to   - http://vimeo.com/7583816    (017)

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey    (018)

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287    (019)

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html    (020)

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on
Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_ISWC2009    (021)