Re: [ontolog-forum] OWL Subclass Existential Reasoning

To: markallanhatcher@xxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kavitha Srinivas <ksrinivs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 09:09:56 -0400
Hello,
   OWL reasoners use open world reasoning.  So the reasoner invents
an anonymous individual of type 'Water' and adds a 'livesIn' edge
from 'Goldfish' to satisfy the constraint that Fish is a subclassOf
livesIn some Water.  The idea here is that we all know Fish live in
some Water, but we may not always know which body of water it is.
Hope this helps.
Kavitha    (01)

On Oct 18, 2009, at 8:04 AM, Mark A. Hatcher wrote:    (02)