Re: [ontolog-forum] memory loss

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:13:04 -0400
Paola,    (01)

People can very easily ignore anything they want to ignore.    (02)

PDM> The power of collective intelligence that I hope for the web
 > is not simply on the ability of supporting technologies to churn
 > vasts amount of real time data, bless it, but also to extend MEMORY
 > to support not only reasoning power and also as ability to store,
 > retrieve, cross reference much larger sets of facts from different
 > sources/accounts, and query 'historical data' and their respective
 > contexts - necessary to achieve Knowledge
 >
 > A massively expandable parallel external drive. then we would
 > really have less excuses to justify ignorance, and the many wars
 > that are caused over it    (03)

We already have that massively expandable parallel external drive.
It's called Google.    (04)

But people who are trying to protect a preconceived notion don't want
to look at anything that might threaten their position.  As I said
about the definition of 'counterstrategic' in IBM Dictionary of Jargon,    (05)

   Embarrassingly superior to what is strategic.    (06)

The RDF and OWL notation is strategic.  JSON refutes every argument
for that notation.  That makes JSON counterstrategic.    (07)

I would suggest JSON as an outstanding opportunity for an upward
compatible extension to the Semantic Web.  It would from a bridge
from the current notation to a much wider range of technologies
-- both from the past and from the future.    (08)

But instead of viewing JSON as an opportunity, they view it as
a threat.  Somebody who feels threatened will build a fortress
around their encampment.  They are blind to new opportunities.    (09)