Re: [ontolog-forum] [SPAM] Re: Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 18:16:50 -0400
Cecil O. Lynch, MD, MS wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> I am talking about reasoning. The data sets are HL7 messages passed on
> disease surveillance to the US CDC. The system that we built processes
> an XML message, reasons against the syntax of the message to confirm
> the structure, reasons over the data contained in the message,
> to validate the terminology, then reasons against the content to
> determine the disease status (drug resistance pattern, treatment
> guideline adherence).
Okay, lets take a look at Web Scale Reasoning.    (01)

Scenario: Information about Michael Jackson
Data Sources: various data spaces on the Web e.g., Last.FM, Discogs.org,
MusicBrainz, DBpedia, blog posts from Live Journal etc..
Virtuoso instance information: 7.5+ Billion Triples, SPARQL endpoint
live on the Web at: http://lod.openlinksw.com    (02)

Actions:
All of this data gets into the Virtuoso Quad store via a variety of
means (remember, Virtuoso is an RDMS and Quad Store Hybrid)
Inference Rules in play: explicit co-reference via "owl:sameAs" and much
fuzzier indirect co-reference using a local axiom that designates
"foaf:name" as being an Inverse Functional Property (IFP).    (03)

Links:    (04)

1. http://bit.ly/38Jlw4  - Page showing the effect of explicit and
fuzzier reasoning (note the obvious stick out errors re. entity Michael
Jackson); here de-referencing each URI will expose the same expanded
union of data from across all the data spaces (named graphs)
2. http://bit.ly/LKtnt  - Page showing same data but without the
inference rules context in play; here each URI will de-reference to its
data space specific data (no union expansion)
> All 50 states send messages to the system.  When you start getting
> into the complex reasoning for these types of medical messages for an
> entire country, OWL does not scale.
Really? It doesn't scale if forward-chaining is in play and
unconstrained. I am demonstrating Web Scale reasoning using
backward-chaining. Naturally, since some of the data gets into the Quad
Store via our Sponger Middleware (an RDFizer middleware component),
there is some constrained forward-chaining as part of the sponger
processing pipeline.    (05)

Conclusion:    (06)

We shouldn't write-off anything, its about using the best combination of
tools for the problem at hand. In this case, the trick is to combine
technology and techniques from a range of realms: raw DBMS and Middleware.    (07)

Kingsley

> Cecil O. Lynch, MD, MS

Regards,    (010)

OpenLink Software     Web: http://www.openlinksw.com    (011)