Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 14:22:23 -0400
Kingsley,    (01)

Those kinds of benchmarks have been kicked around for over 30 years,
and they are just as meaningless today as they ever were.    (02)

KI> I really think that when we talk about data integration and the
 > prowess of RDF, OWL, and what can be achieved re. reasoning etc..
 > Best we point to actual data available on the Web.
 >
 > Links:
 >
 > http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/BerlinSPARQLBenchmark/
 > -- SPARQL Benchmark with RDBMS to RDF component    (03)

The first point is that there is *zero* logical difference among
a table-oriented database, a graph-oriented database, a row-oriented
DB, a column-oriented DB, a DB indexed on various combinations of
rows or columns, a DB indexed on more complex patterns including
arbitrary graph structures, etc., etc.    (04)

All of those DBs can store exactly the same facts, but with widely
different performance for various kinds of applications.  And there
are many different kinds of people with widely different needs
to know about how the DB happens to be organized:    (05)

  1. At one extreme are the end users who need answers without having
     to worry about (or even think about) the DB organization.    (06)

  2. At the other extreme are the system developers who design the
     access methods underlying the DB.  They have an enormous range
     of options, design choices, and optimization techniques that
     have been explored and implemented in an enormous range of
     variations over the past 40 years.    (07)

  3. In between, are many software designers, developers, and
     users with varying degrees of knowledge about such issues
     and varying degrees of need to choose among them.    (08)

As Tony Hoare, Don Knuth, and many others have emphasized,
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil."    (09)

The decision to force a one-size-fits-all DB organization
and a query language that is prematurely optimized for
that organization was *profoundly* foolish.    (010)

At VivoMind, we are delighted to see our competitors use SPARQL
and triple stores, because we can "wipe the floor with them."    (011)

John Sowa    (012)