Re: [ontolog-forum] just been brought to my attention

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:55:53 -0700

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

FERENC KOVACS wrote

John,

Thank you for the interesting point. To me all learning seems to be

incidental, that is not voluntary or intended and we cannot unintend or undi

what we have seen orm learnt that way.

RC>  Santayana says life comes at you like a freight train and the best thing you can do is learn from it.  Or something like that.

Thus forgetting is not intentional

either.Learning an association betwwn a tag (verbal idenifier) and a chunk

of reality, however may be intentional, but incompletely performed. So to me

it is learning form and content. Form is the tag, and the content whatever I

manage to connect it with. We tend to have an incremental progressmin

learning tags, like I often cite my expereince with students who were to

learn names of plants in Botany and names of bones in Anatomy. They had to

learn tags in twop languages (Latinm and native) and had to be able to

associate them with the picture r the object. But they usually failed to

learn both tags at a time.This means to me that there is some anchoring

process involved and we often remember forms, but do not remember content

(just words, no menaing, may be brand names, etc. that I have not got a clue

what they associate with.

RC> One well known memory trick is to memorize forms with variable parts, and to consciously associate the stimulus you want to remember with variable slots in that form.

On the other hand we have knwoledge completed with

content possible to decribe in details in words or identify "meaning"

So we are aware of what we have seen before, and are familiar with and

complete new things which we identify by giving it a (verbal) form such as

unidentified flying object, uin which case we produce or create a concept,

which is an object, which has a form (its name) and content as properties

(as in the name)

RC> Kolmogorov would say we compress the complete memory form into a tag for more efficient linguistic communications.

When we cannot recognize something at a distance as form (an object) we may

still be able to recognize its content (its properties, like it is small, it

is green it is stationary, etc.). This is how I visualize first tiem

encounters and learning more abotu them comes with further mental operations

called folding...

RC> At this point, I have scanned your web pages, but I have no intuitive understanding of why you use the term "folding" for this mysterious operation.  My napkin is folded, the brain has folds, volumes have manifolds, and Origami is masterfully skilled paper folding, but what do you mean by "folding"?

Cheers

Frank