Re: [ontolog-forum] System, architecture(s) and viewpoints ala 42010

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:59:38 +0100
Dear Anders,    (01)

> An interesting subtlety was discussed in our national ISO delegations
> deliberations on the upcoming ballot re the ISO std 42010. It would be
> interesting for me to hear the community's view on this rather
> interesting std and subtlety.
>
> The 42010 This International Standard addresses the creation, analysis
> and sustainment of architectures of systems through the use of
> architecture
> descriptions.<http://www.iso-architecture.org/ieee-1471/docs/IEEE-
> P42010-D6.pdf>.    (02)

[MW] I couldn't get this link to work. However...

> The subtlety is related to the rule; All 'man-made systems'  has one
> and
> only one 'architecture'    (03)

[MW] In my experience, restrictions like this almost always turn out to be
wrong.

> Here the debate started with questions such as:
> * Does all systems have an 'intrinsic' architecture?  (maybe some
> systems are to small to have an architecture?     (04)

[MW] Actually I would think about very large one-off systems as potentially
not having an architecture. Does the road system really have an
architecture?    (05)

Can a human be viewed as
> system, and in this case does the human have and architecture?)    (06)

[MW] The issue here is whether humans are "man-made" (by which I mean the
species). I think it is a better bet that we are naturally occurring. This
does not mean that we (and any other biological system) do not have an
architecture of course.    (07)

> * Can a system have more than one architecture or does the identity of
> the system change when multiple architectural types are discussed and
> documented? (solution-, target-, enterprise-, business, it-,
> information
> architectures types may be related to different systems?)    (08)

[MW] Well an information system almost certainly has at least a process
architecture and an information architecture. The question is whether you
want to cheat and say they are only parts of some larger architecture
(because we have decided that there is only one architecture for a system by
definition).

> * Should the usage of terms such as "business-" and "information
> architecture" be replaced with "business viewpoint" and "crosscutting
> information viewpoint"?    (09)

[MW] Why do people have to do that (what will force them to)?

> * Can/should two different airplanes be considered as the same system
> since they have been constructed from the same set of (architectural)
> requirements?    (010)

[MW] Why not? Arguably all e.g. passenger planes have the same architecture
(at some level).

> There seems to be a heated discussion relating to what many sees an
> 'important' distinction or focus related to how 'architecture' is
> defined. One definition focus on architecture as a "fundamental
> conception" of a system, (starting from the mental concepts of what
> architecture is)  another approach is to focus on architecture as
> reflection of the properties of a system, from which an architecture
> emerges or is an intrinsic part.    (011)

[MW] Sounds to me as if architecture and design are being confused here.    (012)

Regards    (013)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (014)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (015)