Re: [ontolog-forum] Request materials for presentation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 06:34:02 -0700
Thank you Matthew!  This is the direction I had contemplated. Great to get it validated.

Duane

On 4/16/09 12:44 AM, "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Duane,

> I am doing a talk in Orlando in two days entitled “Demystifying Search
> Ontology”.  While not strictly related to search (the conference
> marketers
> though the title, written as below, would draw more people), this is a
> good
> chance to get in front of a few hundred CIO, CTO types and be able to
> explain the benefits of or even introduce ontology work within an
> enterprise.  Of course I plan to heavily promote this forum ;-)
>
> What I would like to ask is for some concrete ideas that will allow
> these
> people to walk away with project ideas for their associations that can
> be
> implemented or started right away.

[MW] Well if the audience really does consist of CIOs and CTOs, my focus
would be on information quality, and what can ontology do to support/improve
that.

Information quality is an easy sell because business decisions are fuelled
by information, and bad quality information increases the risk of poor
quality decisions.

There are a number of areas where ontology can help with information
quality, but in particular:
 - Relevance - What process does the information support decisions in? (or
the other way round, what information do you  need to support your
processes?)
 - Clarity - what does the information really mean?
 - Consistency/compatibility - how do you get information from different
parts of your organization to come together?

I guess you can join the dots on how ontology contributes to these.

Regards

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.