Re: [ontolog-forum] What is a good conversation?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:59:41 -0400
Azamat,    (01)

All of those are interesting research projects, but they seem to
be funded as development projects.  That is a recipe for developing
technology that is obsolete before it is delivered:    (02)

 > The deliverables were/are promised to be: open networked ontologies,
 > SW services infrastructure, generic semantic reference infrastructure,
 > semantic architecture, semantic-based search engines, integration
 > of heterogeneous data sources, mashups, knowledge content objects,
 > argumentation systems, knowledge-based business intelligence, even
 > the large knowledge collider.    (03)

Google, for example, is the most commercially successful WWW business
on Planet Earth.  But they don't use Semantic Web technology.  They
use their own tools based on JSON rather than RDF or OWL.  Google
has hired many of the best and brightest graduates from universities
around the world.  If they don't believe that the SW technology is
useful as a foundation for the future, that raises very serious
doubts about the wisdom of the European semantics projects.    (04)

Although I have disagreed with you about many issues, I share your
concern about flushing money down the toilet on that technology.    (05)