Re: [ontolog-forum] Automated Ontology Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:27:37 -0400
Bart,
  You are apparently aware of the main problem:

> Because ontologies may, and will define the same concepts differently
> (depending on the context, a subject matter expert's knowledge, their
> modelling approach, etc.), checking for consistency will be necessary,
> but also tricky, which I realize is a serious understatement.  Most
> systems currently in place have some level of manual verification, but
> if a system's domain is to expand to a large repository, with an
> active community contributing often, a fully automated system would be
> desirable.  This can naturally be extended to the web, and semantic
> classification of documents.  My task now is to see how far an
> algorithm can go before some level of partial consistency is
> introduced, and how this introduction is executed.

 . . . but perhaps you have still underestimated the magnitude.  As one who
has tried to map ontologies to each other, I have concluded that it is
essentially impossible to do it accurately without participation of the
developers of the individual ontologies, because
  (1) it requires not only human-level intelligence to understand the
meanings of the ontology components to be mapped, it requires an expert in
ontology to understand them; if we ever get to the point where a machine can
do this, automated ontology mapping will not be needed - the machines will
generate ontologies directly from text.
  (2) even if a machine had that capability, it still wouldn't be able to
map accurately, because the documentation is never adequate to resolve
ambiguities, and almost always very sparse.  Except in the simplest cases,
one needs the original developer to explain the intended meanings.    (01)

 So, if you understand that the mappings will always be of low quality
compared to a human product, and have an application in mind (such as
search) that can tolerate large errors, then good luck.    (02)

  But one final point - many of the mapping efforts I have seen seem to be
predicated on the notion that it will be impossible to get broad agreement
on some foundation ontology.  I have been suggesting that this is quite
feasible, if there were enough funding to support an effort of adequate size
- at least 100 participants, to represent a broad range of user needs and
develop a foundation ontology that can serve as the basis for creating more
specialized ontologies.  This would require a few tens of millions of
dollars and a process that emphasizes open-source data and accessory
utilities.  No such project has ever been funded, and until it is I think
one should hesitate to opine that broad agreement will in fact be
impossible.  I think that more than that amount has already been spent
studying mapping techniques, which are in my view an inadequate substitute.
I think that semi-automated mapping *will* be useful to link separately
generated domain ontologies to a common foundation ontology, once such a
common foundation ontology gains widespread use.    (03)

But there may also be useful things that can be done with automatically
generated mappings, and if one must go that route I suppose that it is
worthwhile trying to improve the process.  Just be aware that you are
tackling a project that is daunting for human experts, and be sure to know
what applications could use a result with a high error rate.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416