Re: [ontolog-forum] Relevance of Aristotelian Logic

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:56:30 -0600

On Feb 12, 2009, at 1:46 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
>    (01)

> PH> And aren't we, in this forum, talking about logics (in a
>> broad sense, ie formalisms for description) and KR, rather
>> than statistics or metaphysics?
>
> The study of ontology is usually considered a subset of and
> sometimes nearly identical to metaphysics    (02)

I actually strongly disagree with this (and think that this error is
the cause of a great deal of wasted effort and time in this very
forum), but let us argue about that topic on another thread.    (03)

> , and logic is quite
> capable of representing any kind of mathematical statement,
> including statistical statements.    (04)

Of course. But my remark was in the context of a disagreement about
the received meaning of "Extensional", and referred to which
disciplinary tradition was the one most appropriate for discourse in
this forum.    (05)

Pat    (06)