[ontolog-forum] Using the wiki [was - Re: Next steps in using ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:00:09 -0800
>> [RonWheeler] I do not expect everyone to contribute. There are some
>> people who just like to argue and do not particularly care if the
>>  project objectives are being served by the argument.
>>  I sometimes wish that they would just move
>> on to a pub, have another pint and be done with it.    (01)

> [PatHayes] The trouble is, there aren't any pubs in Florida.    (02)

[ppy]  even if there are, Ontolog [1] is supposed to a "community of
practice" in the spirit of John Seeley Brown's notion of one [2] ... a
"water cooler conversation" (or as I have sometimes put it, a good
conversation in the tavern where John McCarthy meets Doug Engelbart.)
If we get any more serious, we defer to the R&D institutions which
some of our members are associated with, or we do it within the
context of a "Project" or "Initiative" where things could be better
structured, managed, planned and executed (see examples [3] & [4].)    (03)

By the way the wiki is only one aspect of our collaborative work
environment (CWE), which comprises an archived mailing list, a wiki, a
webdav shared storage server, and a portal space. They are used as a
dynamic knowledge repository for collective intelligence (in the
spirit of Doug Engelbart's "DKR"). Through our 6+ years of operation,
this community has already managed to build out, arguably, one of the
most formidable "open" body-of-knowledge in the Ontology domain.    (04)

For those who are not aware, anything thrown into this CWE are
actually indexed for full-text search (see search box at lwer right
corner of every wiki page) and can be accessed and addressed at a
fine-granular level [5]. One of these days, maybe someone will
contribute the semantic search tools too.    (05)

... in short: while still not ideal (and never will be), data,
information and knowledge are actually accessible, and sometimes,
better than one might thought they are.    (06)

Anyhow, substantive contribution from the community is always welcome
and appreciated!    (07)

  [1]  http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid4
  [2]  http://community.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CommunityofPractice
  [3]  http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2008