[ontolog-forum] Ontolog Forum content - appropriateness [was - Re: vocab

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:30:16 -0800
Paola,    (01)

Ontolog is an OPEN community. I'm just trying my best to keep the
collaborative work environment open, conducive to members sharing
their knowledge, and help advance the community's charter.    (02)

When I wear my "Ontolog co-convener" hat, I try to go by the community
policies (adopted from way back), which, I believe are fairly straight
forward:
(ref. http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZBG  )    (03)

//
# please ensure that your posts are relevant (to our Community
Charter), and that it complies with our IPR Policy.    (ZBG)    (04)

# unless specifically requested/solicited by other community
member(s), please make sure any commercial- or self-promotion material
or reference are strictly limited to one's namesake page or a short
signature block, and nowhere else as far as our open collaborative
work environment is concerned. The co-conveners reserve the right to
relocate or remove such material from within the CWE, if deemed
inappropriately done, to the extent that it affects the neutrality and
commercial free work environment that this CWE is set out to be.
(LMK)
//    (05)

When reading or posting as a community member, I would, like most
people, speculate on the authors intent, make value judgments, trust
some more than others, gauge appropriateness and fitness of purpose,
etc. etc.    (06)

> [PDM]  Several works which are copyrighted, and regularly referenced
> discussed in this forum  are very valuable, and often made free and
> accessible for the benefit of this community,
>  and I am not sure    (07)

[ppy]  "Copyright" has almost nothing to do with the issue at hand.
Even classic "copyleft" works are actually copyrighted to their
authors ... it is the use licenses that matter.    (08)

>> [PDM]  myontology lwas also free and definitely not open source
>> when it launched, I remember a thread on another list
>> (has it changed?)    (09)

[ppy]  this is what I got from MartinHepp (the creator of myOntology):    (010)

//
> [MartinHepp]  all myOntology content and contributions are available
> under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license, see the footer on
> http://myontology.deri.at/prototype/
>
> To my knowledge, we are the first (if not the only) open vocabulary platform
> to have such a crystal-clear and open IPR ground.
>
> myOntology source code will be available under an LPGL license, too - there
> is already a consortium decision about the, just the sourceforge project has
> not yet been set up.
//    (011)

Cheers.  =ppy
--    (012)