Re: [ontolog-forum] implementation issues for ontology URIs (right forum

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wacek Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 23:49:23 +0200
Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2008, at 9:56 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

>>> It is resolved by 'content negotiation', a similar technique used for
>>> example to decide which language version you get of a multi-language-
>>> edition newspaper.    (01)

interestingly (or not), 'content negotiation' can seem to be somewhat of
a misnomer, esp. from the perspective of the semantic (as opposed to the
syntactic) web.  what the requesting agent negotiates is the *form*
rather than the *content* of the response.  of course, in practice it is
possible for the server to actually send different content in response
to requests with different accept headers.    (02)

(i note that the term 'content' itself can be misleading;  i'd prefer to
think of the content of a document sent over http as the information
represented there rather than the sequence of symbols forming the
representation, which seemingly does not match the way the term is used
in the context of content negotiation.)    (03)

vQ    (04)