Re: [ontolog-forum] implementation issues for ontology URIs (right forum

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Alan Ruttenberg" <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 16:24:42 -0500

On Oct 4, 2008, at 9:56 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Oct 4, 2008, at 2:46 AM, paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Cool thanks

it renders well in firefox without extension
but I am not sure understand how one uri can be viewed both as rdf
source and html

It is resolved by 'content negotiation', a similar technique used for
example to decide which language version you get of a multi-language-
edition newspaper. To regard these editions as a single resource is
considered good Web practice according to the W3C Architectural
guidelines, but the extension of this to the HTML/RDF distinction is
currently more controversial. So this might be good practice,
depending on how the current debates about RDF and content negotiation
finally settle out. In the meantime one should probably treat it as
provisionally good practice, or maybe experimental good practice.

Ahem.

There is not a whiff of content negotiation, which I don't like

Oh, sorry. I spoke too soon.

because it makes it confusing to figure out what resource the URI
names.

?? Why does content negotiation make this difficult? The whole idea of content negotiation is to decide upon alternative representations of a single resource. If you use 200 codes with content negotiation, there is a single resource involved, denoted by the URI, which can have alternative representations (eg as RDF or HTML). I see nothing confusing about that.  True, if you wish to refer to one of these documents in particular, you ought to use a different URI, but again, that seems unproblematic.

I do not consider using content negotiation good practice, even
provisionally.

Well, as you know, others differ. I said it was still being debated.

The specific series of events that happens when the browser does a get
of http://purl.obofoundry.org/obo/OBI_0000225

purl.obofoundry.org is a cname for purl.org, so purl.org is where a
request is sent.

purl.org has a redirect set so that a request to
http://purl.obofoundry.org/obo/OBI_0000225 results in a directive that
says - look for what you are looking at
http://sw.neurocommons.org/obiterm/OBI_0000225 (a 302 response)

(here's the purl information
http://purl.obofoundry.org/maint/display.pl.cgi?noedit=on&purl=/obo/OBI_0000225&id=nobody)

A get of http://sw.neurocommons.org/obiterm/OBI_0000225 returns a 303
response, which says: I can't give you the resource you want (the
"universal" investigation site) how about this instead, where "this"
is http://ashby.csail.mit.edu/cgi-bin/obiterm?ref=OBI_0000225

This protocol - using a 303 response to indicate that the entity named
is not the sort of thing you can "get" over the network - is called
httpRange-14 http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#httpRange-14

According to http-range-14, a 303 redirect response tells you absolutely nothing about what the URI denotes. This is in contrast to a 200-range response, which does tell you something: that the URI denotes something you can access over the network, to wit, the very "information resource" that emitted the representation  that accompanies the response code. This is the 'normal' case which underlies almost every successful HTTP Web transaction.

I guess I don't see why you need to invoke http-range-14 at all, in order to map between RDF and HTML. They are both 'information resources', after all.

Note: the relation between what you ask for and what you are given is
currently underspecified. Here one might consider it "provisional good
practice" that one serves RDF/XML that contains statements about the
resource.

Indeed. Or, more generally, serves information about the resource in whatever form might be most useful to the requestor, perhaps in many forms, to be resolved by cont... oh, sorry, I forgot.

A get on that URI retrieves OWL statements about the resource. The OWL
is serialized as RDF/XML. RDF/XML is XML, and so can have a stylesheet
directive that says how it can be transformed to be displayed in a
browser. This is similar in spirit to the model/view distinction in
engineering user interfaces. The model is the RDF, the view is
generated from the model. The stylesheet directive looks like this:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"
href=""http://ashby.csail.mit.edu/cgi-bin/obiterm.xsl?ref=OBI_0000225">http://ashby.csail.mit.edu/cgi-bin/obiterm.xsl?ref=OBI_0000225"?>

The browser then gets
http://ashby.csail.mit.edu/cgi-bin/obiterm.xsl?ref=OBI_0000225 in
order to get that transform, then applies it to the RDF/XML to
generate HTML that it can display.

OK, I see how you do it. Still, seems to me that content negotiation would be simpler and more in conformance with TAG recommendations than using stylesheets, which are restricted to XML.

For those that might think that this looks like a lot of traffic to
generate the page, I'll remind that there are a variety of ways that
this same information can be retrieved much more efficiently, for
example the whole OBI OWL file
(http://purl.obofoundry.org/obo/obi.owl), or as a query against the
Neurocommons triple store at http://sparql.neurocommons.org/ . For the
single dereference of a citable name, we consider it more important
that we try as best possible to not confuse what the URI denotes

Can you really make sense of your explanation, above, in terms of URI denotations?

Pat

, and
to have systems in place that reduce as much as possible the chance
that there be incentive to give another name (URI) for the same
entity.

-Alan

Pat

or do we have more than one uri for the same resource? if so, is that
legal/good practice?

thanks

PDM

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Alan Ruttenberg