Re: [ontolog-forum] implementation issues for ontology URIs (right forum

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Alan Ruttenberg" <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 03:11:14 -0400
Hello John,    (01)

I don't know how interested the people in this forum are in such
issues - a more common place where this would be discussed would be a
list like semantic-web@xxxxxx    (02)

Given that I'll keep my comments short. My colleague Jonathan Rees and
I at Science Commons have been investigating this issue for some time
and have come up with a set of principles and prototypes that you
might find useful to consider. You might have a look at
- http://neurocommons.org/page/Common_Naming_Project - requirements in general
- http://neurocommons.org/page/CommonsPurl - a prototype for managing
- http://purl.obofoundry.org/obo/OBO_0000225 - an example of what we
think should be a typical response for an ontology term    (03)

In short, we consider # to not scale, and recommend "/", and also
recommend against using content negotiation.
For a recent presentation on some of our surrounding work, see
http://sw.neurocommons.org/presentations/gsk20080824.pdf    (04)

We'd be glad to discuss this further with you.    (05)

Regards,
Alan    (06)