Re: [ontolog-forum] Upper ontology content and structure

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:51:29 -0400
I have used CMAP in the past so I was pretty interested in COE as a way
to work with users to develop a better understanding of their domain.    (01)

It is very attractive but so buggy as not to be really usable for an
important project where you are going to invest a lot of time into the
model. I never lost a model but I had to exit and go back in when COE
seemed to lose synchronization between the on-screen images and its
internal representation of the model.    (02)

It also has the annoying bug/feature of not remembering who you are so
you have to fill in the new user screen  each time you open a map.    (03)

I had trouble with the OWL output in 2 ways. In one case, it produced a
0 length file with no error message and in the other it displayed a
cryptic error and refused to output the OWL file until I changed the
words in one link relationship.
I would be worried about investing a lot of effort into a model and then
not being able to get the OWL file.    (04)

I hope that the development team continues to work on this.    (05)

I am not sure how usable the OWL output is. I would like to hear from
others who have more expertise and have tried to take the OWL output
into other tools for use in applications.    (06)

It certainly has a much clearer and more user friendly visual model than
Protoge. For helping a user understand and document the ontology of
their domain, the CMAP visual model is more acceptable.    (07)

It is light on documentation.    (08)

The commercial web site was not functioning when I was looking at
finding out more about commercial licensing and private collaboration
libraries.    (09)

Ron    (010)