Re: [ontolog-forum] Reality and semantics.

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rick Murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:18:41 -0400
Len & All:    (01)

Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation was one of my most interesting
reads this summer. I found his nihilism painful, but I came to
appreciate his point: that when representation becomes one's reality, we
lose the basis for material adequacy.    (02)

Len Yabloko wrote:    (03)

> My answer to that last question is: those who leave by that model and
>representation do care. Perhaps all they care about is the model, because all
>they know about reality is the representation. I don't think anybody cares
>about how the river will look without the bridge.
>     (04)

Baudriallard's precession of the simulacrum follows the degeneracy of
reality from material adequacy to pure simulacrum. From the first
chapter ...    (05)

"So it is with simulation, insofar as it is opposed to representation.
Representation starts from the principle that the sign and the real are
equivalent (even if this equivalence is Utopian, it is a fundamental
ax~om). Conversely, simulation starts from the Utopia of this principle
of equivalence, from the radical negation of the sign as value, from the
sign as reversion and death sentence of every reference. Whereas
representation tries to absorb simulation by interpreting it as false
representation, simulation envelops the whole edifice of representation
as itself a simulacrum.    (06)

These would be the successive phases of the image:    (07)

1 It is the reflection of a basic reality.    (08)

2 It masks and perverts a basic reality.    (09)

3 It masks the absence of a basic reality.    (010)

4 It bears no relation to any reality whatever: it is its own pure
simulacrum."    (011)

Or folks might remember Neo, in The Matrix, keeps his stash in a carved
out copy of the book ...    (012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3tr0gSNBx4&feature=related    (013)