Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Web shortcomings [was Re: ANN: GoodRelation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:45:50 +0000
Michael,     (01)

Thank you for your comments. It is good to get a fresh prospective from Silicon
Valley to contrast the intellectual focus of this forum.    (02)

Like you I am a software engineer. However, unlike you I do not see a problem
the way you do - as software engineering problem. Semantic Web initiative is
not about improving Web technologies May be the name is confusing, but the main
part of is "Semantic" - not "Web".    (03)

Moreover, the Web does not represent all information technologies, nor is it a
melting pot for all software development. It is more like its bubbling surface.
Yes, it is deeply pragmatic in "street" sense, but not as an institution. And
yes, diversity and flexibility was beneficial throughout the history of
technology, but so was governance.    (04)

Finally, the rosy picture of today's Web as you have painted it - does not seem
that way for me (may be because I am not from Silicon Valley :-). Yes, you can
build the application in two hours or less, but such proliferation does not
bring a long-term solution to basic problem of information overload. In fact, -
it contributes to it.     (05)