Re: [ontolog-forum] Wittgenstein and the pictures

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:40:05 +0000 (GMT)

Len,

I think it makes no sense for me to write fragments of what should be more systematically presented and not just in response to a point made without trying to see another point.

It is a pity that my language is not clear enough for you and perhaps others.

"What you said is tautology because "properties" and "objects" are concepts in the first place. To get out of it some smart people invented Category Theory to deal with objects in a consistent way. What you call "working backwards" is known as transformation or morphism, includes identity and many other properties. The basic idea of connecting object properties with their identity  is known as "strong reference" and was originally proposed by Chris Partridge (who had occasionally contributed to this forum). He had also given a special role to reified binary relations that he called "tuple places". I have further advanced notion of "strong reference" by proposing specific method of making it computable."

What I meant to say there that in the begionning you hav enothing that you are aware of, and when you already are aware of Being, Life, the Whole, or the World, or the concept of number one, you immediately chunk the world into two, form and content, and other bipole concepts, then yopu may have one more step and arrive at concepts that go in three.
Of the latter objects, properties and relations seem to be enough to be the root classes of anything else, yet they are subjected to recursion and their bets definition is given in a rcursive fashion. (Not included here, but ma be demonstarted on demand)
Now all that is not sufficient to model our relaity, because relations are hidden in current terminology.Objects are likely to be represented in two dimensions, trying to mock a picture of the world, a static one though. Properties are derived by abstraction, an ongoing process, yet not contiguous, but stepwise or incremental. If you want to visualize that process you get a multidimensional space with circular paths and cycles, a paradigm not available to the Greek to implement without even the idea of a computer.
Natural Languages are also recursive, but there are no synonyms, just as there is no use of approaching thinking by using syntax or parsing to arrive at terminal symbols.
The terminal symobols if you like the concepts used in upper ontology. One must see how parts iof speech, concepts of informal logic and cognitive science refere to the same chunk of reality with different names. Evereybody should be clear about his own set of basic concepts, like physicists should define the condept of space and time and we should rely on those definitions for alignment in toher fields.

I hope I have not wondered off again too much.
But now I must go to bed. See you tommorrow
Frank...

Kindest regards,

Ferenc Kovacs
alias Frank