Re: [ontolog-forum] The Open Group SOA Ontology

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Toby.Considine@xxxxxxxxx
From: Francis McCabe <frankmccabe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:16:00 -0700
I would have to say that focusing on what Ed called the "technology
architecture" aspects of SOA is to miss a key aspect.    (01)

In the SOA RM, we defined service as a locus in which needs and
capabilities are brought together. (There is much more than that too,
of course).    (02)

In the Reference Architecture, we have taken a stance of "SOA as
ecosystem"; a medium of action for human and non-human participants.    (03)

We did not really feel the need to denigrate OO, or even CORBA (:-);
because our real focus was on that meeting point between business (or
"getting things done") and technology.    (04)

I would argue that the real contribution of SOA lies there; not in any
reworking of CS techniques.    (05)

Having said that, in the RA, we have focused on three views: just how
is it that people can get things done using an electronic medium, what
are the key technology pieces involved in making it work, and what are
the key issues involved in owning and maintaining a SOA-based system.
The latter is especially significant if you think that, like the
Internet itself, once a SOA-based system is turned on, it is likely
never turned off.    (06)

Frank    (07)

On Jul 17, 2008, at 12:02 PM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:    (08)