[ontolog-forum] Fw: Ontology: Modular Logic

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sean Barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:11:20 +0100

As I understand it, RDF provides a mechanism to state <subject,
predicate, object> triples, but provides no interpretation for
predicates. RDF Schema defines a limited number of predicates, such as
subClassOf. OWL then adds further defined predicates, allowing limited
definition of domains and relationships between classes. These provide
functionality for what in the old KADS methodology would be called a
classification task.    (01)

On the other hand, I am getting requests to "use an ontology" in
problems which need a much broader range of predicates, such as
"validate that a parameter set is strictly monotonically increasing over
the interval [0, 1]" or "Check this instance graph is a tree".    (02)

Is there any standard for "logic modules" than can be added on to a
basic description logic, or even just a good ontology of logics?    (03)

Sean Barker
Bristol, UK    (04)