Re: [ontolog-forum] Naming and Semantics of Identity Management for SOA/

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:10:25 -0700
Gary:

A conversation is happening that is related to this on the SOA RM Reference Architecture list right now:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/soa-rm-ra/200806/maillist.html

See the thread by Ken Laskey here:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/soa-rm-ra/200806/msg00125.html

Duane

On 23/06/08 12:16 PM, "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

In the past the group has discussed OWL and lack of identifiers (e.g. an early part of it is at http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2007-04/msg00012.html )

Recently I ran into a somewhat related issue of identifiers in the SOA/ Web services security area and the concept of "active entity", discussed for things like ad-hoc mobile environment.

SOA and web services have the trust issue of  Identification and Authentication, i.e. Verifying the identity of a user, process, device etc. as a prerequisite for access to resources in an information system.  I’ve just seen some general things discussed about the semantic issues and resolutions for this, but SOA seems to happily humming along as if the issue of identify will be handled OK by the proper approach to naming.  Sort of like a general extension of ISO 3166-2, “Codes for the representation of names of countries and their subdivisions” to service entities, device entities etc.  So you just have a single hierarchy with the nodes named….

 But it is easy to imagine problems as trust relationships span multiple organizations which have different names for “active entities” and their parts and assemblies into which they are composed.

I’m wondering if anyone else has thought about the  issue of semantics involved in Identity Management and what the limits of a systematic naming approach might be?
Is anybody addressing the semantic issues so that service and person identities don’t become a problem?

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
Semantic Technology
SOCoP Executive Secretary
http://semanticommunity.wik.is/Spatial_Ontology_Community_of_Practice
<https://mail.em-i.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL="" href="http://semanticommunity.wik.is/Spatial_Ontology_Community_of_Practice>">http://semanticommunity.wik.is/Spatial_Ontology_Community_of_Practice>

Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Duane's World TV Show - http://www.duanesworldtv.org/
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury