Re: [ontolog-forum] Data Models v. Ontologies (again)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 16:32:01 +0000
Ed,     (01)

You wrote:
EB>... I don't appreciate the sacredness of that intellectual challenge.    (02)

I am not talking about sacredness, but merely a rigor of engineering
discipline. We can't afford what builders of pyramids could. One has to pay a
price for ignorance. And I guess the builders of tower of Babel also though
they were engineers.    (03)

EB> ...If all of software engineering is "carpentry" to you, while you wait for
the unifying theory of knowledge to base it on, you are welcome to that
view. I just don't share it. But you can give thanks to the masons who
built your ivory tower.    (04)

I am a "mason", but instead of thanking myself I prefer to find a better way to
build software, so may be one day we could build that "ivory tower". Because as
of now most of software is about as good as mud painted to look like ivory.    (05)

-Len    (06)