Re: [ontolog-forum] A different approach to ontology

To: <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 16:37:57 -0400
Rick,
   There is an interpretation of "meaning" that I find useful in the paper
by William Woods "Meaning and Links" in the Winter 2007 issue of AI Magazine
(vol. 28 no. 4) which he calls "Procedural Semantics".  Simplified, his
interpretation requires that there must be some executable procedure that
can verify the truth of a statement or the membership of some entity in the
set of instances of a type, in order for a machine to actually be able to
grasp "meaning".    (01)

   "In this theory the meaning of a noun is
a procedure for recognizing or generating
instances, the meaning of a proposition is a
procedure for determining if it is true or false,
and the meaning of an action is the ability to
do the action or to tell if it has been done."    (02)

  This assumes that the machine is equipped with some sensorimotor
capabilities that would allow it to test conditions in the real world.
There are existing capabilities in typical computers, such as being able to
go out onto the Web and find text and pictures, that could substitute for
being able to walk around and inspect things at a close distance.    (03)

  This notion of meaning avoids the infinite loop of trying to interpret
symbols in a computer in terms of other symbols in a computer.  He actually
introduced this notion back in the 70's.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416