Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology vs OWL implementation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 09:16:53 -0400
Chris,    (01)

I sympathize with your point of view, but...    (02)

CM> I like to follow fairly standard practice and reserve
 > "theory" for deductively closed sets of sentences.    (03)

Your use of the term 'fairly standard practice' usually means
fairly standard among that subset of humanity that reads and
writes papers on formal logic and related topics.    (04)

Since that subset is tiny, even within the IT community, that
usage, without explanation, can cause misunderstanding. When
the distinction is important, it's helpful to expand the word
'theory' to either    (05)

  (1) the set of axioms of a theory, or    (06)

  (2) the set of implications of some axioms.    (07)

A set of statements that people can read, write, or store
in a computer corresponds to version #1.  That is more
likely to be the object of attention in most discussions
on this list.    (08)