Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology vs OWL implementation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 18:23:04 -0400
Chris Menzel wrote:    (01)

>> My personal preference is a much stronger definition:
>
> I'm not sure it's stronger.    (02)

Agreed.  From a logician's point of view, my definition is so weasel
worded that it can hardly be said to be well-defined, let alone stronger.    (03)

The original purpose of a "semantic web ontology", as distinct from
"logical theories", was to provide a set of terms and relationships that
would be used to markup documents to facilitate search, by allowing the
recognition of a subject in context.    (04)

What I mean to eliminate is the taxonomies and thesauri that simply
introduce terms, without any effort to "define" them.  They still
facilitate search, but it is not possible for a reasoner to do much with
them.    (05)

>> A formal language that provides a means of definition of a term
>> using a syntax with a well-defined semantics that supports
>> (automated) reasoning is an "ontology language".
>
> Ok, let's say KIF, which is supported by the Schulz/Halcomb Tau
> reasoner.    (06)

Sure.    (07)

>> A model...
>
> I assume you really mean a set of sentences, and not a model in the
> model theoretic sense.    (08)

Yes.  That is exactly what I mean.  The issue that Cati raised was
"ontologies" vs. "information models", so I took it that, in that
terminology context, they are both subtypes of "model" = a set of
sentences that describe some abstraction of someone's world.    (09)

>> ...captured in that language is an "ontology" if and only if most of
>> the terms it introduces are defined in the model using the
>> definition mechanisms of the formal language (possibly including
>> references to terms that are formally defined elsewhere).
>
> Ok, let's suppose our specific KIF language has the predicates P and
> Q.  I define them thus:
>
> (forall (x y) (iff (P x y) (= x y)))
>
> (forall (x y) (iff (Q x y) (not (P x y))))
>
> By your definition, this is an ontology.  (Call it the "Identity and
> Difference (I&D)" ontology. :-)  Maybe that's ok with you -- it's
> certainly ok with me.  But I got the impression you had something more
> discriminating in mind.    (010)

I am happy to call this an "ontology".  That it is a "trivial" or
"degenerate" case is not a problem.  It is axiomatic and it is closed.
It is vastly preferable to calling a big collection of undefined terms
with a few subsumption relationships and no other identifiable axioms an
"ontology".    (011)

-Ed    (012)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (013)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (014)