Re: [ontolog-forum] What is "understanding" - was: Building on common gr

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:59:05 -0400
Just a clarification to answer some of John Sowa's concerns, with which I
mostly agree:
>  A static combination in "word
> experts" would imply that domain knowledge encoded in an English
> word expert would have to be rewritten for Russian or French.
   That is not the way I would view the structure or purpose of a Word
Expert. All language-independent knowledge should be in the ontology.  A
Word Expert would be able to use the knowledge in the ontology, and write
output meanings in the ontology language, but its primary function would be
to interpret the meaning of the word, using inputs from any syntactical or
semantic parser available as well as word-specific information such as usage
patterns.  It would disambiguate where a predefined sense fits, and
interpret nuances of meanings for a word by analogical reasoning where a
variant or metaphoric meaning appears to be intended.
   So the Word Expert would encode the language-dependent interpreter, and,
yes it would vary a lot with languages, but only to the extent necessary -
i.e. to the extent that the languages themselves vary in the way that words
are used and combine.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.