Re: [ontolog-forum] What is "understanding" - was: Building on common gr

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sergei Nirenburg <sergei@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:08:46 -0400
John -

I am very happy to see a public discussion of issues that
I have been studying for many years. It feels, in part,
that we are back in 1982. Of course, we have learned
a lot since then, as a field.

I think that the core of the new understanding can be
reduced to two high-level points.

First, our main problem is well beyond choosing the
"right" knowledge representation schema: it is all about
the content of knowledge, not the format.

Second, the scope of work is so much broader than even
the most sober among us had expected.

A few years ago I compared the outlays for the
Manhattan project, the Human Genome project
and NLP. The statistics were not complete,  I am
sure, but the trend was clear: our work has been
funded at a small fraction of those projects.
It is societally understandable, of course. But the
bad news is that I think our problem is more
complex than either of those problems...

So, alas, we should set our goals in a way that is somehow
commensurate with realistic expectations. The bad news
here is that there will be no instant gratification on a
grand scale. Not for our generation.

As to knowledge acquisition work, it is thankless:
while it can be intellectually quite demanding,
one can't defend a dissertation in it, so students
naturally prefer either working on formalisms or
on theorem provers or on statistics-oriented experiments.

This is one of the reasons why I think that no
standards could really be enforced in this area and
that it may be a noble but doomed task to try to
come up with a single common syntax and semantics for
the metalanguage for specifying knowledge about
language and the world (whether these are different
metalanguages or a single one).

I'll also make some comments inline.