Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:27:17 -0400

[[[1]]]

[PC] >> A definition is a description of the meaning of a term, whether it is a linguistic definition or a logical specification. That is the analogy.

[PH] > Not good enough. First, tell me what you mean by 'meaning of a term' when we are talking about formal ontology languages.

  I use the term in this sense: In a formal ontology there is the logical meaning, which consists (for an instance of a type) of all of the inferences that can be drawn from the fact of something being an instance.  For a relation between two entities, it is the set of inferences that can be drawn from the fact of the relation holding.

   There may also be an *intended* meaning, which is what the ontologist wants to represent, and which may be described linguistically in the documentation.  The logical specification should be consistent with the intended meaning but will not in general support all of the inferences that would be possible if the intended meaning were represented in greater detail.

[[[2]]]

[PH] > The burden of proof is on you. Cite a reference explaining how we all come to have identical mental models.

    Quite the contrary. I have merely asserted that I have a hypothesis, and presented the evidence that causes me to form that hypothesis.  Any hypothesis needs to get extensive evidence before it will be believed by anyone other than the hypothesizer.  That is well understood.  Forming a hypothesis, even from vague analogies, is one of the methods for developing a motivation to do research, and I have presented it as nothing more than that.  You don’t think the evidence I cite is in any way convincing, and doesn’t justify research.  Fine, but:

      You, on the other hand, have asserted in very strong terms different variations on the theme that there is strong evidence against my hypothesis, and yet the only evidence you have provided is that some adult ontologists couldn’t agree on some representations in some cases – which is only remotely relevant, because it did not involve an attempt to agree on the concepts corresponding to the terms in the basic vocabulary.    If you say something is disproven, the burden is on *you* to cite the published evidence.  But you haven’t cited a single published source, let alone one that comes close to being on point.  If you don’t want to dig for the references you are sure must be there somewhere, I sympathize, but then don’t keep saying that the hypothesis of a strongly similar mental model for basic terms has been disproven.  I accept your disagreement.  If you want to assert that you have better evidence against the hypothesis than I have for it, please present that evidence.

[[[3]]]  [PC] >> Clearly, if some entity is an instance of one ‘occurrent’ but not an instance of another ‘occurrent’,

[PH > That does not make sense. Occurrents do not have instances.

    You misinterpreted.  The word occurrent was quoted to indicate the type.  To clarify, a restatement:

     Clearly, if some entity is an instance of the type “occurrent” in one ontology, but not an instance of the type “occurrent” in another ontology, then the meanings of “occurrent” in the two ontologies must differ because they are using the terms in different senses.

[[[4]]]

[PH] > This whole process [getting agreement] is a fantasy. This simply does not happen. This is like assuming that if you get two people together and they do enough careful exegesis of one another's beliefs, they will eventually agree that they have the same religion.

     Now the basis for your skepticism is becoming clearer.  You apparently think that most ontologists’ ideas on how to formalize domains are merely beliefs that are insusceptible to change by argumentation.  It’s true, I don’t have such a low opinion of most ontologists.   We differ there.  Of course, that may well be true of some ontologists.  Do you think that  any of them will admit it?

[[[5]]]

  [PC] >> We would need to look at the specifics of the representations to determine what the problem is.   Perhaps not something that can be done in an on-line discussion, but maybe worth trying.

  [PH]  There are entire libraries written on this division of perspective. It has been done to death on various archived ontology forums, also. But when you say this is a 'problem', what do you mean, exactly?

   I am talking about trying to resolve any differences one by one, by trying to understand the fundamental components of each view that causes the logical contradiction.  For 4D/3D, determining whether there is a consistent ontology encompassing both views depends on the specific formalizations that are inconsistent.  It’s easy to create a contradiction.  I say P, you say not-P.  The question I would ask is whether the motivation for the different representations is based on different requirements and whether it has to be in the foundation ontology.  Once again I will assert the opinion (no proof needed) that the likelihood of getting agreement among a group depends on the motivation.  Just firing off notes like these is approximately zero motivation.  A serious project to develop a foundation ontology corresponding to the linguistic defining vocabulary might provide more motivation.  Not for everyone, but we don’t need everyone, just a large enough core to sustain serious collaborative effort.

[[[6]]]

  [PC] >> Question: do you think that equating a zero-time-interval timeslice of a person with a 3D ‘Continuant’ person would lead to any logical incompatibility?

   [PH] > I KNOW that it would. Here's a quick one:

>  (cl-comment 'basic continuant axiom'

>    (forall ((t Time)(c Continuant))

>               (= (c at t) c ) ))

>  (cl-comment 'definition of age property in 4-d'

>      (forall (x (t Time))

>         (=  (age (x at t))

>               (minus t (birthtime x)) )))

>  from which, and a little arithmetic, it follows that

>      (forall

>           ((t Time)  (s Time))

>          (= s t) )

>  i.e. time is impossible.

    I’m not sure how to interpret this argument.  The set of axioms conflates diachronic identity (the = in the continuant axiom) with mathematical identity (the = in the 4-d axiom) although the two are very different concepts.  I know you are well aware of that, so why are they there together, looking as though they are the same thing?  Is this your way of saying that the ‘continuant’ view is incoherent because it conflates diachronic and mathematical identity?  I like to use the 3D formalism for most of my representations, but would never use the ‘=’ sign like that.  If I felt I needed such an axiom, I would define a relation ‘isDiachronicallyIdenticalTo’ to express that notion.  Who uses such an axiom?  A Google search for “basic continuant axiom” found no hits.

PatC

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA, Inc.

908-561-3416