Re: [ontolog-forum] Search engine for the ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:20:22 -0500
Pat,    (01)

A quick remark to your quick remark:    (02)

 > I just wanted to dispel the impression that there are hundreds
 > of competing 'foundations' for mathematics, or that everyone
 > agrees that it is fine to just choose your own foundation for
 > your own theory.    (03)

I agree that ZFC and category theory are the two main systems that
people who worry about the foundations of mathematics decided to
study during the 20th century.  But I want to emphasize two points:    (04)

  1. We have no idea what logicians in the later part of this century
     or many centuries to come may decide is a better choice.    (05)

  2. Mathematicians who use a set of axioms A to solve a problem P
     don't choose any foundation whatever.  It is irrelevant to them
     whether the axioms in A are reducible to ZFC, category theory,
     or any other system anyone might invent in the future.    (06)

The reason why I emphasize these two points is to dispel Azamat's
claim that there is some pressing need to reduce all the axioms
for everything in the universe to one fixed system.    (07)