Re: [ontolog-forum] Search engine for the ontology

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:18:49 -0500
Pat,    (01)

As soon as you go from one to two, you have adopted an inadequate
approximation to infinity:    (02)

PH> Well, OK, there are TWO foundations. I agree, CT [category theory]
 > is widely treated as a real mathematical foundation in practice.    (03)

But if you use "widely treated", you make it a popularity contest.    (04)

On foundational issues, I disagree with Avril who is trying legislate
a finitistic foundation.  But I also disagree with *everyone* who is
trying to legislate *any* fixed foundation.    (05)

But I wouldn't call myself antifoundational, since I am not opposed
to having foundations.  I am just opposed to the idea that there must
be exactly one or exactly two foundations or exactly N foundations.    (06)

I just say that I agree with CM's friend that practicing mathematicians
don't need foundations, but if anybody wants to define a particular
foundation for a particular purpose, I have no objections to that.    (07)

And further that *all* of them would be unnecessary for the practicing
mathematician who actually wants to solve real problems.    (08)