Re: [ontolog-forum] Search engine for the ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:28:28 -0600
> Practicing mathematicians -- people who actually solve problems
> that other people pay somebody to solve -- dismiss the study
> of foundations as *irrelevant*.    (01)

I don't think they dismiss it so much as ignore it.  As a
mathematician friend of mine put it to me recently when I sent him the
link to an article on the 100th anniversary of Zermelo's
axiomatization of set theory (mentioned in this forum in a reply to
Avril Styrmann (http://tinyurl.com/35zsls)):    (02)

"Most working mathematicians would rather not think about foundational
issues, just as most meat-eaters would rather not think about how the
animals are slaughtered."    (03)

:-)  He then noted:    (04)

"But logic has a way of breaching the barricades. In my own field, for
instance, it is known that the existence of a complete set of
biholomorphic invariants for domains in multi-dimensional complex
space is independent of ZFC (either with or without the continuum
hypothesis). I don't lose sleep over it."    (05)

-chris    (06)