Re: [ontolog-forum] What words mean -- What this thread means

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:23:12 +0000
Michael,     (01)

You are not alone! And thank you for putting it so politely. I only have one
world for it - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/demagogi    (02)

To be constructive I did try to provoke a substantiative discussion in my post
shortly after this thread spawned from the original "Axiomatic Ontology". Let
me try again (last time I promiss):    (03)

"It appears to me that this discussion started from the need to have a common
ground that is more solid than one afforded by established processes. It is
clear from everything said so far that there is no way to establish a universal
ground, even when all efforts are made to remove ambiguities, such as the case
with mathematics. Perhaps it is what Pifagor (or was it someone else?) meant
when he said something like "... give me a ground and I will overturn the
World". SO what we should be looking for is at best a temporary grounding of
our ideas and efforts. This is what Kuhn's paradigm is all about.
So the question should be (correct me if I am wrong): what are the mechanisms
available to us for better grounding. Now I really sound like an engineer.
I this was a question discussed here all along, then I appollogize for stating
the obvious.    (04)

Clearly - ontology and language are parts of any such mechanism, and the logic
must make it parts fit and do the work, which in my mind is to server some
purpose. Was it Wittgenstein who said that language is the use? I found this
book about Wittgenstein with the name pointing in the same direction
"Language and Information: ?Back to the Rough Ground!"
http://www.springerlink.com/content/tfc9cblgnlwndygl/    (05)

If anyone has ideas about how to make the "ground" more solid I will be very
interested to hear it.    (06)