[ontolog-forum] Relevance of Ontology and Research

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sharma, Ravi" <Ravi.Sharma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:31:04 -0700

Pat    (01)

Except for the first unprintable word, and may be strong wording, I
agree with your inputs (my opinion as a professional not any other
organization's) that we are very low not only in terms of actual
government funding (and private / industrial also), we are also
suffering from the lack of appreciation of the fact that it is with
liberal funding - how we got where we are, whether too much relevance
was emphasized or not. Can not rest on our laurels for ever without
pre-investments! Media are also sometimes enhancing low esteem for
science and technology - at least till recently!    (02)

I do not like bringing it to the fore (as I am a member of diversity and
should stay humble) but mostly diverse European - Russian and a bit
Asian diversity of science influence helped us achieve in nuclear and
space arena as the Nobel Prizes and NASA achievements show, and with
reduced compulsive immigration unlike the one that followed the wars, we
will further suffer from such lack of talent injection into the society
(formerly value was achieved from specifically positive and sensitive
education oriented cultures).     (03)

With relevance to ontology, I professionally would like our constituent
sub-teams to have multiple focus areas such as,     (04)

1. Near term practical examples and demos of what is possible today and
links to various standards groups and real life applications as in
Healthcare, IT etc.    (05)

2. What is possible to show as approaches and possible new standards and
solutions in 3-5 years and identifications of gaps to reach there with
at least some links to future applications (e.g. RDF and MOF concepts
started a few years ago)!     (06)

3. Theoretical and mathematical developments not constrained at all (and
for us such as physicists to pick some threads as Einstein with
Riemann's work and particle physicists did with symmetries and groups
and quantum mechanics with group theory representations).    (07)

4. Etc.    (08)

Thanks.    (09)

Ravi    (010)

(Dr. Ravi Sharma) Senior Enterprise Architect    (011)

Vangent, Inc. Technology Excellence Center (TEC)    (012)

8618 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 310, Vienna VA 22182
(o) 703-827-0638, (c) 313-204-1740 www.vangent.com    (013)