Re: [ontolog-forum] formal systems, common logic and lbase

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:23:57 -0600
>Rick
>thanks for interpreting your thoughts.  I am becoming increasingly
>interested in CL, although I am still working out how it relates to
>other formalisms, and how can I use it
>As discussed briefly with Welty last week, it appears obvious to me
>that CL is at core of NLP,    (01)

I have no idea what you and Welty were
discussing, but I can assure you that CL has
almost nothing to do with NLP (assuming you mean
by this, Natural Language Processing.) I know
that Welty knows better than to make such a
statement, so I presume you may have
misunderstood him.    (02)

CL is really a very limited, technical project: a
version of first-order logic with a very
forgiving syntax and a slightly modified
semantics (modified in order to accommodate the
syntactic freedom), stated as a 'standard' (i.e.
with explicit conformance conditions spelled out)
and allowing for a variety of alternative surface
syntactic forms. The CL ISO documentation gives
three such surface forms in detail, and others
are possible. But these are all just syntactic
variations on first-order logic, all with a
common semantics. First-order logic is not NLP.
(Some very early NLP work assumed that NL is a
'rich' version of a logic, but that idea has been
thoroughly refuted by now. Certainly the
languages that humans actually speak are not
logics, and cannot be fully understood without
taking a large number of non-logical
considerations into account.)    (03)

Pat Hayes    (04)

PS. In case you feel that I am merely blustering
here, I would point out that I authored the CL
specification (apart from Annex B, which was
written by John Sowa), so I do have something of
an inside view both of what it says and of the
presumptions and ideas on which it is based.    (05)

> [...]
>>                                          |                |
>>                                      Axiomatic    Natural Language
>>                                                 -------------------
>>                                                 |                  |
>>                                                LBASE         Common Logic
>>
>>  I believe Feferman's open ended schematic system implies proposition b)
>>  and the evolution of formal systems towards logical environments.
>>
>>  Rick
>>

>>  paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>  > Thanks a lot Rick
>>  > havent had the chance to read the docs yet, but it sounds like a
>>  > fundamental question, although shifts in thinking paradigms may be
>>  > unsettling and painful
>>  > I do think that CL is going to stimulate the transition from NLP to AI
>>  > (so many acronyms)
>>  > and I have come to accept the possibility of a passive logical schema
>>  > but I am still reading
>>  > (and reading and reading)
>>  > I am interested in exploring your a) and b) propositions
>>  > what happend to this chap Feferman? did he get any traction?
>>  > will catch up with the reading and continue with this discussion at
>>  > the first opportunity
>>  > cheers
>>  > PDM
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > On 11/17/07, rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> All:
>>  >>
>>  >> Folks might enjoy the Soloman Feferman lecture Goedel, Nagel, Minds and
>  > >> Machines. After recounting an exchange
>between Godel and Nagel circa 1956,
>>  >> Feferman describes the implications of the minds vs. machines dichotomy
>>  >> ensuing from the exchange. To avoid the
>>impass resulting from the dichotomy,
>>  >> Feferman proposes the redefinition of a formal system to an "open ended
>>  >> schematic axiomatic system." He claims this
>>redefinition is a constructive
>>  >> step towards an "informative, systematic
>>account at a theoretical level of
>>  >> how the mathematical mind works that
>>squares with experience."  He stresses
>>  >> the importance of a subject neutral theory
>>of operations with basic schemata
>>  >> for language, arithmetic, set theory that would amount to a version of an
>>  >> untyped lambda calculus. Feferman concludes by rejecting any effective
>>  >> machine representation of mind as
>>contemplated by Nagel, Penrose & others.
>>  >>
>>  >> So, what does this mean to Common Logic and
>>LBase ? Seems to me that efforts
>>  >> like Common Logic and LBase would either
>>have to a) be defined within this
>>  >> type of an open ended system, let's say as
>>the natural language description
>>  >> of the constraints to which the axioms that make up the theory of such a
>>  >> system would  adhere; or b) evolve into an
>>open ended system that exhibits
>>  >> characteristics of transformation across languages, logics, models and

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)