Re: [ontolog-forum] formal systems, common logic and lbase

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:27:07 -0600
On Nov 26, 2007, at 8:12 AM, Barker, Sean (UK) wrote:
>>> ...Do I have to pay to get access to CL now ?
>
>> We're waiting on ISO approval for the document to be made freely
>> available.
>
> The STEP community has been pushing ISO for several years to get the
> ISO standards published for free. The problem has been that the
> business model of some of the national standards organizations is
> that they cover their costs by selling standards. Consequently it
> has not been able to make its standards freely available.
>
> Having to pay for standards is a significant inhibitor to uptake.
> The problem is rarely the actual cost, but the pain of going through
> a company's purchase process, especially when there is often a
> substitute freely available on the web.    (01)

I'm not sure whether you are generalizing from your STEP experience to
suggest that ISO is going to resist releasing CL as a free standard,
but my understanding from the CL spec editor Harry Delugach, who
shepherded the standardization effort, is that in fact the approval
process is well on the way.  That the spec be freely available was a
sine qua non of the working group from the beginning of the
standardization effort.    (02)

-chris    (03)