Re: [ontolog-forum] misunderstandings about OntoClean

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Claudio Cardone <c.cardone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:18:25 +0200
Dear Chris,    (01)

I'm honoured for your so detailed reply. I've written a similar post in
ontoworld (http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Talk:OntoClean), i will remove it.
Now it's clear that I must address instances when I state the need of an
IC and that a more relaxed interpretation of the relationship between
rigidity and identity can be adopted, as for "local identity" case. I
posted my opinions because I noticed many cases of "relaxed" use of
subsumption and partonomy looking at properties of some reference
ontologies in my current work
(http://inmobio.epistematica.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ConceptsOfBioOntologies)
and, extracting properties from ontologies, I needed to find some method
to practically be sure for a semi-rigid attribution to a property.
Anyway I focused more on the analysis of meaning rather than ontoclean
tagging.
Taking apart the exceptions relative to the asserted need to have a +R
and +O/+I reference property for subsequent attributions, I could
imagine that in some contexts (best practices) of ontology development
those exceptions could be carefully disregarded: for example, adopting a
value partition design pattern and avoiding multiple subsumption, roles
should be separed from the "backbone" of the ontology... does this make
sense, in your opinion? Anyway, as you reminded me, the practical needs
often take the ontology development far from ideals and  I'm probably
too "rigid" about rigidity!    (02)

Thank you again
Claudio    (03)

Chris Welty ha scritto:    (04)